BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, June 3, 2010

My TALL Theory

I have a theory.....!!!
Well, not really a theory.....but rather a hypothesis!
A hypothesis on how to ensure your children to be tall when they grow up!
This is solely based on my observations on tall people and their childhood behaviour. It seems that there are some sort of relationship...!!!
OK lah.....it is also based on my own childhood behaviour! Teehee~~~
My hypothesis is that, in order to grow up tall, you need plenty of food when you were young (ideally before puberty) so yes....it means getting FAT; PLENTY of sleep and, if you must, good genes also play a minor role!

FAT + LOTSSSSSS OF SLEEP +/- good genes = TALL MAN / WOMAN!!!

+
|
|
|
V

There, there...every hypothesis needs an explanation. When I was bout 6 years old, I was overweight and when I was 12, my weight went up to almost 90kg (the heaviest I ever weigh)! Also, during those days, I sleep a lot! Like a LOOOOOTTTTT! I used to go to bed at 8.30pm every day and waking up at 7am for school. To top it off, there were afternoon naps when I came back from school. During my secondary school days, my sleep hours was reduced by 2 hours. I slept at 10.30pm. Now? I sleep latest at 12am!
The thing about sleep is that, a certain growth hormone is secreted at its peak during deep sleep by your hypothalamus glands and this is what make children to grow tall and strong

While being fat means you have lots of nutrient! Which is essential for growth! Of course, you cannot deny that at times, good genes play a part too. But I think it's a minor role! Cause I have seen tall children by short parents.

And another evidence is shown by my own brother, he is 15 now and 10cm shorter than me (by the way, I am 183cm tall)! And when he was young, he was overweight too! Not to mention he sleeps a lot as well back then!

So, you tell me! Is my hypothesis worth considering or not??? 

7 comments:

Liz said...

Nope. haha
Being overweight? Cannot be la. And genes do play quite a major role. Tall kids from short parents may actually have inherited the genes from maybe a generation earlier. You can trace the line: maybe they had grandparents or uncles/aunts that were tall. It means that the family line HAS the tall genes, only possibly suppressed in the generation of the parents.

Anyhow, don't wanna get in Bio of whether your hypothesis works or not. My question to you is, "Is there a FORMULA for producing tall children?" There isn't any RECIPE, nor if there WERE, a GUARANTEE that it'd work in all cases.

My second important question to you is, "Why do you WANT to have tall children? What's wrong with being short?"

As a vertically-challenged person myself, though I may complain and occasionally lament of my height issues, I am generally happy with how tall (or short) I am. It makes me unique, it makes me ME.

Now, there wouldn't be any fun/variety/uniqueness in this world if EVERYONE were 183cm tall now, would it?? XD

Wil Liam said...

I don't think genetic plays a major role. It's the environment that influence the growth of an individual. You may have all the tall genes (back to biology, genome TT) in the world, but without the right amount of nutrient and hormones, you'll remain stunted!

Back to the question of short parents, how can they probably have any tall genes in their genome?? It's an absolute tt, which eliminates any possibility of transcending a T gene to their offspring! So there must be another explanation for this. Of course, unless the short parents actually HAVE a T gene, but like I said, was stunted due to environmental factors.

I don't know if there's any FORMULA for producing tall kids....but hey! This is just a hypothesis! Hypothesis is the first thing that initiates a research or experiment, so there's always a 50-50 chance of accepting or rejecting it!

Well, yes...different heights give the world varieties...not complaining on this! But you have to admit, in terms of aesthetics, being tall is a plus point! It is all parents wish that their children will grow up to be as beautiful or as handsome they can be! Now, don't get me wrong here....I don't mean to offend anyone and there's no pun intended!! I'm a vain pot....and vain people would like vain children too... :P

Nisshant~ said...

do some extensive r&d first!

Wil Liam said...

LOL! It's just a hypothesis lah.... Let others do R&D on it! Hahaha!

Liz said...

Ahaha. Height is not a dominant/recessive gene thingy. If I rmb correctly, it's a variance gene. Meaning that it's a cumulative effect of all the height genes la. Check F5 bio text bk and see? XD

Ahaha. Willie, that IS a pretty vain POV. One day, when you marry a "vertically-challenged" girl and have many many vertically-challenged kids, you'll realize that beautiful is not necessarily physical, and that true beauty has nothing to do with one's height. :P

andymervingeorge.com said...

I totally agree with you! I am an example of your hypothesis and now I stand at 180cm.. I used to be overweight last time up to 85kgs tops back when age 17 and now at 29, I am heavier at 105kgs! Er, is it abnormal/obese?? But i have the height.. so how??

Wil Liam said...

LOL! I'm glad that there are more people supporting this hypothesis of mine! Haha.... But like I said, it's just a thought... Not to be taken too seriously but hey! By all means fatten up your children and let them have enough sleep to get tall children next time! :)

Newer Post Older Post Home