BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, September 9, 2010

Merit-based scholarships not fair??? My @r$e lah.....

I read something that made me furious few days ago... Didn't thought of blogging bout it till now!
Was scrolling through Maxis fan page in Facebook and saw our little award ceremony being posted there with a few pictures of our Scholars...
Then I happily click on it and look through the comments written by other fans...
Not sure if some people out there are just plain pain-in-the-neck or they are just jealous of us cause one comment that I read really pissed me off! It goes like this (I am not afraid of showing his identity! Berani buat, berani tanggung lah!):

Robin Stanislaus Is there any really really deserving and needy recipient? Or it all went to rich people's children? 
Just a thought.
03 September at 19:11
I was like what the hell??? Hello.... that is like a total insult! Now I am NOT being biased towards Maxis, I mean yes...they provided me scholarship but it is solely my opinion as a Malaysian, a normal citizen on merit-based scholarships!! How can he say that?? Maxis Scholarship for Excellence is solely based on merit and they consider your co-curriculum activities and assess your soft skills through 2 to 3 rounds of interviews... NEVER once they asked me about my parents' income because I believe, it is their principle to acknowledge students' achievements regardless of race, religion and family background!

I had had my bad share of scholarships that they think is "fair" because they only award them to the poor or more financially difficult students... I've got interviewer saying that "My family is not poor enough so no matter how good you are, we can't offer you the scholarship"!!! So, is that FAIR??? A student's biggest accomplishment would be recognition of his success! Good students who are "not so poor" are left to fend for themselves but not so good students who are poorer gets the chance to be pampered!!!

I mean yes....poor family needs help! But the majority of the society should not neglect the so-called-better-off-ones!! Besides, I can say more than half of the rest of the "poor" applicants for the previous scholarship don't even look poor!! They were donning branded stuff and just because they managed to prove that they are poor..... it is decided immediately that they are offered the chance! Come on!!! Who in the world doesn't know that businessman can fake their salary slips if they want to??!!! I am not saying all the rest of them have businessman parents but I know a handful of them are! And unfortunately my parents aren't running their own business, so the proof that I got are just plain honesty! Too bad for me lah....

Sigh....and we have people like that blurting out their so-called-inequality in a social website!
Every family has their own problem, including mine. Even though my parents may earn more than average, but little do you know, that they have their own liabilities which the accumulated incomes are barely enough!! E.g. medications due to chronic diseases, personal loans and debts, etc.

So I would say to organizations like Maxis who are providing merit-based scholarships to the people, A JOB WELL DONE!!! Do continue doing so. There are lots of hopefuls out there who just need your help!

Newer Post Older Post Home